[G4] Super Duper Cloning software/Stuck

Slip Kid G-2 at att.net
Wed Jan 17 14:27:22 PST 2007

David wrote:
> Clean install - yes.
>
> If she has the application disks, yes also.
>
> Cloning just saves time as many applications, as well as the system,
> have to go through a load of updates to bring them to the current
> versions.

My initial reply was "Clone with SuperD" (when I thought her only goal
was to get the content from the failing drive to a new disc).
After I realized an OS upgrade was not only a 'hitch' for the 'clone'
(SD didn't support her config?) it also seemed obvious she would be best
off moving up to Tiger.

Her existing apps?
Not a long list and if they are of her OS's era then freeware/open
source (in addition to the included and improved apps w/Tiger) will
leave not missing the 'past'.
Jeeze, I have the current stock of her oofice apps & have found a better
substitute for each of them.

So?
As I'm a 'clean-installer' w/any new OS + see little value in her
existing apps compared to '07 alternatives + think she'll be more than
impressed with the features (and xtras) w/Tiger...?
Yeah, a fresh disc and clean install is a tiny hurdle compared to the
pay-off.

Maybe it's because the above path was so easy for me (w/the Mac)
compared to similar nightmares with any new disc/OS from Billsoft.
But I really do think in an afternoon and the little cash for Tiger
she'll end up wondering "Why did I wait?"
My G4 GE is only 400Mhz w/half-a-gig o' RAM but because of the superior
OS/software it more than competes w/a 2.8Ghz XPee (except for serious
CPUing).

Sure, cloning will get her current deal to a new disc (it's great if one
only 'needs' to move a dupe). But there isn't much 'current' about what
she'll be moving...
[IMHO]

Michael