[G4] SCSI Drive Question

Peter Birren peter at birrendesign.com
Sat Jan 20 14:01:03 PST 2007

Les Berkley wrote:
> I just bought an Adaptec/Apple 2040-U2W  SCSI card for my G4 400
> Sawtooth, to support a couple of old peripherals. It occurred to me
> that now I can add a SCSI HD, which would be a good deal faster
> than the machine’s ATA-66 interface. I vaguely recall that I am
> limited to 9 or 18GB partitions? (OS is 10.4.8) Is my memory
> accurate? What types of SCSI drive are compatible with this machine
> and card? Some of the SCSI HDs on eBay look incredibly cheap.

MyG4/GE2x450/ATA-66 was originally ordered with a SCSI card to run
peripherals. Now it's driving a 9gig drive, an IBM DNES-309170,
rescued from a PowerPC6100. Recently mothballed the Zip and Jaz
drives plus an external CD burner so the SCSI card is only for the
little drive. Reason SCSI's are so cheap is there's little active
support for 'em; they're obsolete (like me :-)

- Peter