[G4] big hard drives-9.1?

bill ritchey britchey11 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 08:24:41 PST 2007

thanks to all of you this has been a big help

Philip J Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com> wrote:  On Jan 21, 2007, at 1:20 PM, Send2Rich at aol.com wrote:

> See this thread in the Apple OS 9 discussions:
> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=636618&#55853;&#57034;
>
> Even if you add an LBA 48 compliant drive, you won't be able to boot
> OS 9 from any partition larger than about 190GB, which is probably
> much larger than you'll ever need for OS 9 and applications. Your
> data files can reside on any mounted partition.

Unfortunately, the thread you reference above doesn't provide any
references to support the claim that OS 9 can't access volumes larger
than 190 GB. And since the thread is closed there's no way to ask the
person who made the claim.

This claim directly conflicts with Apple's documentation which states
that OS 9 can access up to 2 TiB:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24601. I did a Google
search and found one reference to this 190 GB limit in response to a
person who was having a problem booting OS 9 on a 250 GB drive, but is
was only repeating the information in the Apple Forum thread.

Phil
--
Lanie, I'm going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That's worth going to jail for. That's worth anything. --

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff: