[G4] Re: DVR problem

Margaret Krakowiak imago at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 22 09:15:22 PST 2007

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!

  Carol, yes, holding down the mouse on startup does open
the tray, and it stays open too. As you said, when I'm installing
X from the CD disks, let's hope when the next disk is needed,
the tray pops open and waits for the next disk. If not, I'll just have
to be ready to hold it open momentarily, and switch them out.
I do have an eject key - top right on the numbers keypad of my
keyboard. This works to eject a disk, but again, it just opens and
closes the drawer very quickly.

  Someone mentioned an extension conflict. There may be something
to this also. When I open the extensions manager from my control panel,
I keep getting a type 2 error, and then have to restart. I haven't yet looked
into this, not sure what to do there.

  I thought I had thought things out on the road to my OS upgrade -
I bought a 250gig external FW drive, which I'm using to back everything
up, just in case - and anyway I should have this for backup regardless.
I also bought a 250gig ATA internal, a Seagate. Of course I forgot about
the limitations with my computer model, so now I'm waiting on the adapter
card which will allow me to use all the space on the new drive. I'm planning
on keeping the old drive in there too. I'm wondering if I should just leave the
old one at 9 and install X on the new, or install both 9 and X on the new drive.

  I bought this computer with the idea that I'd be able to move to X down the
road.  It has been a fabulous machine that has given me no problems in the 7
years I've had it. I'm not a speed freak so I'm happy to keep this one going as
long as I can. I just dragged my feet, waiting for bugs to be worked out during the
initial X releases, and then just worrying about my software viability. But now I know
I have to make the jump, my browser choices are limited and faulty at this point.
Last year I got shut out of Tom Waits tickets when I couldn't finish filling out a
form at ticketmaster with IE 5.1 running. (I did manage to get a ticket in Memphis
by phone, otherwise I really would have kicked myself for my upgrade procastination!!)

margaret