[G4] Re: nonexistent drive

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Jul 4 01:29:59 PDT 2007

On 3 Jul, 2007, at 1:17 AM, Eric Wood wrote:

> Presumably you saw the message to which I was replying.

Yes, I do understand the thread of the message, but I cannot see what
the import of the video card has to the subject which was an icon
appearing on the desktop for a hard drive that is no longer installed
in the chassis.

I failed to see the relevance of remarks addressing video cards and
ATA IDE controllers.

I do understand the need for a newer ATA IDE controller if the Mac in
use is incapable of recognizing drives larger than 128Gb. I have used
one myself to install additional large capacity drives in my old G4,
but that was not the subject under question.

I am extremely curious as to the cause and cure for the icon
appearing. I have never seen this happen yet and I have been using
Macs for over 15 years. For the last 8 years, I have been doing
volunteer technician work with a computer re-use/recycling program
here in Chico, CA and have worked on at least two thousand Macs from
the Centris series to G4 iMacs without seeing this phenomenon.

I would truly like to see the explanation for it.