[G4] Re: nonexistent drive

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Tue Jul 3 01:17:37 PDT 2007

Hi Ronald,

Presumably you saw the message to which I was replying.

A quotation of particular significance is: "Thank you all for
responding. I'll try zapping it when I can get over there.  Hmmm...
we had already switched out the controller card, thinking that would
do the trick, no dice. It was a Rage 128 pro, maybe that's not enough?"

I was responding to Roxylee that a Rage 128 card is not an ATA
controller. Perhaps confusion arised because of its brand being ATI?

And to answer question 2, Roxylee is talking about using a very large
hard drive in that Mac, and it isn't supported at its full capacity
with the built-in controller. Ergo, a third-party controller card
would be an excellent solution at this point.

3, I don't know which video card was removed and which was installed.
I'd simply encourage Roxylee to use the newest available card, since
there is no logical reason not to. The better the video card, the
more capable the system is of various video-related tasks; most
especially, of course, 3D.

Eric