[G4] Re: nonexistent drive

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Jul 3 00:30:35 PDT 2007

On 2 Jul, 2007, at 3:13 PM, Eric Wood wrote:

> No dice indeedy. The Rage 128 card is a video card. The Mac
> shouldn't currently have a PCI card for the ATA/IDE, but when you
> get one, you plug the drives into that card instead of the
> interfaces on the motherboard.
>
> Video card will have nothing to do with it, so just put the best
> one available in there.
>
> Eric
>
> Am 02.07.2007 um 15:19 schrieb Roxylee:
>
>> Thank you all for responding. I'll try zapping it when I can get
>> over there.  Hmmm... we had already switched out the controller
>> card, thinking that would do the trick, no dice. It was a Rage 128
>> pro, maybe that's not enough?

Maybe I'm  getting to old to follow the above language properly? I
submit a few questions to get clarification:

1. Yes indeed, a Rage 128 card is a video card and not a controller
card. What was the original purpose of removing that card? It has
nothing to do with any hard drive attached to the computer.

2. What is the need for a PCI ATA/IDE controller card? Is there an
intention to install additional hard drives in the machine and there
are no bus ribbon connections left? I do not see what this type of
card has to do with a drive icon showing on the screen.

3. Why put in "the best one available" if there is no problem with
the original and it does what is wanted all the time? Upgrading the
video card should not have any effect on the presence of an icon for
a drive that is not connected to the bus.