[G4] Combo drive recomendations?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Jul 12 12:09:15 PDT 2007

On 11 Jul, 2007, at 6:41 AM, John Niven wrote:

> Are you saying that if I use an external firewire DVD,
> I will not be subject to the regional code
> restrictions? That sounds VERY interesting!

I am using an external FireWire/USB case with a Pioneer 110D DVD/RW
player and VLC to view my DVDs. I like the interface a bit better
than Apple DVD Player and set VLC to be my default player. So far, I
haven't seen anything on screen that indicates I will be limited to a
certain number of viewings before a change is permanent.

I have heard that there are software solutions to the limit
restriction. One way was to delete preferences, but I'm not exactly
sure which pref file to look for. Another way is to "flash" the drive
ROM, but I have never done that and have some concerns that it may or
may not work properly.

One program that I have used to move DVD movies to my iPod is
MacTheRipper. It can remove region settings during the ripping
process and you wind up with a region free movie that you can play on
anything. Another program I downloaded, but haven't used yet, is
Handbrake. It comes in two versions, so you have to decide how you
want to use it.