[G4] Question about Firewire enclosure / hard drive

Perry Mitchell perry.mitchell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 14:31:12 PDT 2007

To be pedantic you actually have space and hardware to mount two extra
drives. One mounts over the existing drive, and assuming you don't want a
second optical drive the other mounts under the CD/DVD. The wiring harnesses
are already there waiting. It's the work of a few minutes (and there are
Internet sites to show you exactly how).
The only advantage of the external Firewire hard drive is that you can share
it with other (non networked) computers. Mounting the drive internally will
be faster.
I would suggest you keep the existing 'system' drive as is and use your new
drive for all media and virtual ram disk space.
FWIW
Perry

From: Michelle

A)  install it INTO my Sawtooth in the "second" drive available spot? (I
didn't know there was such a spot/slot...)

B) replace the current (27GB?) hard drive with this new, bigger drive of 120
GB

C) put this new drive into a firewire enclosure (for about $50 more?), and
use it as an "external" storage/drive

IF I chose to do Option C, why would that (or would that) be faster than
just buying an external firewire hard drive in the first place?

I am not a technician in ANY way, but I did manage to follow the specific
directions thus far to upgrade this computer. I primarily need the upgrades
now to handle my work with Photoshop. Buying a new Mac is just not in the
budget at this time.