[G4] Question about Firewire enclosure / hard drive

Michelle happydog at northmo.net
Fri Jun 1 15:27:37 PDT 2007

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses, suggestions and
explanations. I watched one of the online "how to" videos on the OWC
site and I think I can handle installing an *internal* second drive.
With my current budget, going the "slave" route is what I will do,
and NOT get the PCI card (is that what it's called?) in addition,
that would allow me to have the better/faster new internal 2nd drive
(the "S" ATA one?)

(All of this tech language is still new to me, sorry if I am
butchering it as I probably am...)

For now, anything will be an improvement. And I may ultimately get an
external FW drive (enclosure that I "put together" myself, probably)
- to use for backing up files for BOTH my G4 Sawtooth desktop AND my
iBook G4 laptop.

The video I saw online isn't exactly what I'll need to follow, as
that one was for a G4 but was NOT for the "slave" type... this video
showed you also getting a new PCI "card". But it didn't look
incredibly difficult, and I'm assuming that the new drive will come
with clear installation instructions (or I can search online, or ask
all of you, haha).

Thanks again and I'll let you know next week how it goes. It should
arrive early in the week.

Take care,
Michelle