[G4] Question about Firewire enclosure / hard drive

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Jun 1 15:32:26 PDT 2007

OOPS!  You cannot install a Serial ATA (SATA) drive in your G4 Sawtooth UNLESS you get a PCI SATA card, and that will set you back about $50.  You can install a plain old [parallel] EIDE/ATA drive using the extra 80-wire ribbon connector that should already be there on your machine (on the ribbon itself) as sell as an extra 4-pin power supply connector that should also be there.  The "slave" just refers to the setting that you make by placing the little "jumpers" on your drive on the proper pins (every drive should have an illustration printed on it for "Master," "Slave" and "Cable Select").  Most machines let you use Cable Select on both drives, but if your current drive is set up as Master, then set up the new one as Slave.

At 5:27 PM -0500 6/1/07, Michelle wrote:
>Thanks everyone for the helpful responses, suggestions and explanations. I watched one of the online "how to" videos on the OWC site and I think I can handle installing an *internal* second drive. With my current budget, going the "slave" route is what I will do, and NOT get the PCI card (is that what it's called?) in addition, that would allow me to have the better/faster new internal 2nd drive (the "S" ATA one?)

Nope, not SATA. EIDE/ATA only!

--Steve