[G4] Question about Firewire enclosure / hard drive

Thomas Brooks mos125 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 1 17:50:48 PDT 2007

Michelle:
One last suggestion since you are now well on your way to a solution.

Once you have formatted and installed an OS your new Hard Drive use
Carbon Copy Cloner <http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html> to make
an exact copy of your existing 27GB on your new drive. If your old
drive fails or becomes unreadable you can just make the new drive your
startup drive, expand the CCC disk image and you will be back to work
immediately. If the old drive can be reformatted and repaired you can
transfer the CCC file back to it. If old drive is unusable you can then
replace it with another new drive and start over again. It is easy to
make either drive your startup by using the Startup Disk Preference
pane. Run CCC periodically to back up one drive to the other and you
will always be covered.

You may already know all of this. I learned the hard way when my
original 10GB disk got corrupted an I almost lost all my data.

Tom

###