[G4] Sound and other concerns

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Sat Jun 16 10:50:36 PDT 2007

Hello John,

I have no audio input whatsoever from Apple on this machine. I was quite
shocked to say the least - it broke a tradition as old as the Mac itself
of including some kind of microphone input (but then, the iMac began a
new tradition of dropping legacy technology, didn't it?). I was just
watching the WWDC07 when I decided to take a net break and saw your
message, by the way. I love the look of Leopard and would love to use
it. I have to wonder how well it runs on anything older than a G5 with a
really nice video card, however.

One thing I like about the Linux experience is it's done away with the
pre-Intel Mac's traditional slow web browsing performance. But going
back to audio, I was just trying to record from an AV source converted
to the sound card's line-in, and I found it playing through my left
speaker only. But speaking of Audacity, it is indeed what I was trying
to use. I haven't tested a different stereo input yet, however, so I
don't yet know where that problem's at.

I've seldom touched MS Office. I'm using evolution for email now, and
OpenOffice 2 comes standard on this system. I so seldom use any office
apps, however, that I haven't tested it much. One limitation, though, is
that it can't open a ClarisWorks or AppleWorks document.

Linux does, like so much other software, tend to favour the x86
platform. Even Apple's doing that, now. I'm surprised at how much
PowerPC support exists, though. Fedora started with Fedora Core 5, which
is only about a year ago now! Yet it's a very good release that they
make, and I prefer it over Ubuntu, SuSE or Yellow Dog. Being as familiar
with its workings as I am, I find it the most functional of the lot.

Blah dee blah. All for now.

Eric