[G4] Sound and other concerns

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Jun 17 00:05:38 PDT 2007

On 16 Jun, 2007, at 11:27 PM, H F wrote:

> Are you working for Butte Environmental Council or have they been
> supplanted by something else?

The program I am involved in is not part of Butte EC, but we are
affiliated with Cal Dept of Waste Management and other agencies. I do
volunteer work with Computers for Classrooms, Inc., of Chico, CA. We
receive donated equipment from various California agencies like
CalTrans, CHP, Dept of Health Services, etc, and some county agencies
and private corporations.

When we get equipment, we categorize the units and then do a DoD wipe
of the hard drives before doing anything else with the cpus. The cpus
get read using MicroScope for the PCs and OS-9.x for the Macs. They
also get 'read' for video card, RAM, network cards, etc, and a note
put on the front of the case. If the cpus are good enough, they get
sorted by processor speed and put in the warehouse until a school
puts in a request for that type machine.

When a school calls and requests machines, we grab them from the
warehouse, configure them with an OS, install certain free programs,
and charge the out-of-district schools around $90/cpu with monitor,
keyboard, mouse, and cords with a one-year warranty.

The program has been operating for over 12 years now, and I have been
with it for almost 8 years now. I'm retired from State of California
Dept of Corrections, and this keeps me off the streets at night and
out from under my wife's feet during the day. Plus, I get a lot more
satisfaction out of this work than my previous job at San Quentin
State Prison. Working to help kids is a lot more pleasing than
working with inmates!

We have a program for volunteers who want to earn a computer. If a
person volunteers for 50 hours with us, we provide a PC that is
configured for Windows 2000-XP and internet capable, usually
something like a P-III 600MHz machine with a 17" monitor.  If the
volunteer wants a Mac, it would be either a high-end iMac slot loader
model or a G3 B&W tower. The time does not have to be consecutive
hours, it can be an hour at a time. Most of the volunteer workers
come in for at least three hours a day and get their computer within
a month. For families that can't afford to buy a $500 PC at Office
Depot or Circuit City, this is a good deal and we get many volunteers
during the summer vacation months.

Don't want to tie up the bulletin board with too much bragging about
the program. If you want more info, contact me off-line at
ronsteinke at mac.com.