[G4] Mac Classic Environment

tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 5 08:54:55 PST 2007

> > Actually as primarally a PC user I've got loads of questions I want
> > to ask, some of them I've found the answer to myself like "how do
> > I/do I need to defrad/optimize the drive."
> >
> > But others like installing aps are eluding me... eg I've downloaded
> > Firefox and double-clicked on the file to install it but it doesn't
> > do what I expect it to do... install on the drive... it seems to
> > exist as a volume (i think that's what it's called) on the desktop
> > which dismounts? when I shutdown. Then the next time I want to use
> > it i have to double-click on the .dmg file again to "re-install"
> > it... what am I doing wrong?
> >
> > X11,  Onyx, Open Office, MSN Messenger and The gimp all installed
> > on the drive.  So I'm confused. ?(
> >
> > Also iChat doesn't seem to do anything when I click on it.
> >
> > Celia

Celia,
Others I am sure will give better answers than I for you specific problems, but I thought I would make a couple of general suggestions that apply to all problems on the Mac.

Firstly: have you discovered Apple Discussions yet? It is gigantic compared to this list with thousands of users and is the best forum for newbies. You find it at the Apple website, click 'support', then 'discussions'. You will probably have to create a user name which is called an 'Apple ID' and a password. You do not have to have a .Mac account. It is free.

Second: David Pogue's Mac OS X - The Missing Manual is well worth its money in learning all the how to's of operating OS X.

Third: Dr Smoke's X-Lab Troubleshooting Guide is a giant trouble shooting manual available here: http://www.thexlab.com/ that is a $15 e book download that has saved my bacon many times. Dr Smoke is one of the guru's on Apple Discussions.

When I first started with Mac I had weeks of problems like you seem to be having, but it got easier pretty quickly, as it will for you. All the best.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art