[G4] Why does my DVD tray open at startup?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Fri Mar 9 13:02:04 PST 2007

At 09:39 -0800 3/9/07, Ron wrote:
>When mine did this, it was a USB hub. try unplugging USB hubs or devices and see if that cures it.
>
>On Mar 9, 2007, at 9:05 AM3/9/07, Mark Laurint wrote:
>
>>This doesn't happen every the time, but is there a way to stop from doing it?
>>It's a G4 Sawtooth, running 10.4.8, 786 MB ram and a Pioneer DVR-105 burner. This has been happening ever since moving to OSX a few years ago.

I found that using a powered hub and leaving power on it all the time, even when the computer is shut down, the problem went away.

I use an ADB keyboard (matches the one on this 8500) with a Griffin converter to USB and with the new hub I can't start up from the keyboard any more even though the adapter is plugged into the USB socket that the hub isn't. Fortunately the button on the computer is in the front and the CD-ROM tray doesn't bump my fingers when I poke it.

Apple DOES know about the problem and it almost surely needs yet another update to firmware, I'll bet you had to update firmware to run OS neXt and that's when the problems began.

Sawteeth are old dentistry.  Sigh.

--
--> On the eighth day, about 6 kiloyears ago, the Lord realized that free will would make man ask what existed before the Creation. So He installed a few gigayears of history complete with a big bang and a fossilized record of evolution. <--