[G4] G3 / G4 ?

Dan A Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Sun Mar 18 17:57:46 PDT 2007

Hello All,

I have a very interesting question for you all.

I recently purchased this:

an APPLE POWER MAC G4 400 MHz, ZIF Chip. Works in the G3 BEIGE OR B/W
MACS and Sawtooth G4's. IN GOOD WORKKING CONDITION. You will need to
move the plastic jumpers on the motherboard. www.apple.com will assist
in this process. Sample photo used. Pulled from a Working G4 400Mhz,
Sawtooth G4.

Well, I installed it in my daughters Beige GE MT 333 and it works ...
sort of. When I go to system profiler it says under Processor G4 / 333.

Now I paid a whopping $75 for the entire computer 2 years ago so i am
not too worried about voiding a warranty.  What would be a reasonable
speed to overclock the Mac and exactly (talking to a 3 year old here)
how does one go about that OR would it be better to reinstall my old
Sonnet G3/500 processor??

TIA,

Dan