[G4] Video Card Upgrade Question

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Mon May 7 14:50:51 PDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Preston Peek wrote:

> I've just purchased a Samsung 22" widescreen monitor, but can only
> attach it
> to my analog VGA port (no DVI on my G4). The picture, even on a Hi
> Def DVD,
> is not so hot. I know someone who runs this monitor from a PC for
> gaming,
> and he's blown away by it. Not so me.
>
> My question is: If I upgrade my video card (I'm looking at a Mac ATI
> Radeon
> 9200 128MB AGP DVI Video Card) will this improve my resolution? Will
> increasing the RAM (which I badly need) help?

The video card and its analog connection is probably not the problem.
LCD monitors have a native resolution and refresh rate. If the former
is not set correctly the display will look bad, if the latter is not
set correctly, but the former is things will be a little fuzzy. Check
the manual for the correct settings.

To forestall other responses, 64 MBs is more than enough to support
this monitor at full resolution and color.

A DVI equipped card will probably give you a better looking display,
but the difference will not be huge.

> And on a related issue: Is anyone familiar with the $299
> "SuperCharged 1.5
> GHz PowerMac G4 CPU Upgrade G-Celerator, 1.53 GHz with the
> supercharged 2MB
> Cache... The "Plug & Play" 1.5 GHz that will more than triple the
> speed of
> your Power Macintosh G4 system!?" Worth it. I could sure use some
> speed

Seems rather pricy. Check someplace like OWC, www.macsales.com, for
alternatives. xlr8yourmac.com is a good place to look for user reviews
of Mac hardware.

Phil
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin