[G4] upgrade problem

Margaret Krakowiak imago at bellsouth.net
Tue May 15 08:28:31 PDT 2007

I upgraded my system yesterday.
Had been using 10.2.8, and jumped to 10.4.6.
The install went fine, I did an archive of my old system.

The problem happened when I did a restart a bit later -
I got the apple screen, the spinning icon below, but then
the apple turned into a circle with a line across it, (the universal
"no" symbol), and I could not boot up any further.
I restarted from the install disk, verified and repaired permissions
on the volume that I had done the new system install on,
and verified the disk, which disk utility said was fine.

Right now I'm booted into a different hard drive, with my old
system 9.2.2 on it. I got here by holding down the option key
on startup, when all my potential startup systems are paraded
across the screen. My new 10.4.6 shows up there too, but if
I choose it, the same thing happens again. What can the problem be?

margaret