[G4] Re: G4 upgrade problem, can't boot into 10.4

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Thu May 17 16:22:00 PDT 2007

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Margaret, perhaps I wasn't clear, I think that once you get the
platform to boot into your disk with the 10.4.x you can then reconnect
the other drives and everything will work Okay.

You shouldn't need to connect and disconnect the drives with 9.2. and
10.2.8 every time you want to use those drives.

However with my system when I want to switch to 9.2.2 I have to
start-up for the 9.2 CD before I can switch to the 9.2.2 which on a
partition on my second drive.

Just remember that I'm not guaranteeing that disconnecting your 1st two
drive will cure your problem, as every problem with a Mac platform can
be unique. I'm just suggesting that you give it a try and see.
On May 17, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Margaret Krakowiak wrote:

> Patrick,
>
>   By clean install, do you mean erase the volume that
> I had done the installation on? I have my drive partitioned
> into 4 volumes (I know I don't need to, but I prefer it that way).
> I have 9.2.2 on one volume, and can boot from that with no problem.
> I had put 10.2.8 on another volume/partition, and could boot from
> that also, which is why I can't see disconnecting my other 2 drives
> to try and get it to boot into 10.4 now - I'm not saying that might
> not work,
> as Harry suggested, but I'd hate to have to keep disconnecting drives
> just to boot into a particular one. I've tried reinstalling once with
> no luck,
> I repaired the drive with disk utility, though it didn't need it.
>
> Now, if I have to erase the volume (and can I erase the one volume,
> without
> having to erase the whole disk? Or am I confusing volumes and
> partitions?)
> I will, to do a clean install. There was one thing that I hadn't paid
> attention to
> in the readme stuff - I did have an external FW drive and my USB
> printer on
> board - could that have caused a problem with the install? I think
> someone
> may have mentioned this potential. Would that mean my USB hub also?
> Please
> say no, though if I *have* to unplug it I will...
>
> margaret

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC