[G4] What kind of drive is this?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu May 10 16:57:55 PDT 2007

On 9 May, 2007, at 10:19, Richard Kriss wrote:

FireWire Bus:

   Maximum Speed:    Up to 400 Mb/sec
I picked up a new (to me) Firewire External drive.  It works great but I
have no idea what brand drive is included.  Where can you check other
than
the System Profiler?

Dick
=============================

911:

   Manufacturer:    Oxford
   Model:    0x1
   GUID:    0x30E002E01013DF
   Maximum Speed:    Up to 400 Mb/sec
   Connection Speed:    Up to 400 Mb/sec
   Sub-units:
911 Unit:
   Unit Software Version:    0x10483
   Unit Spec ID:    0x609E
   Firmware Revision:    0x37
   Product Revision Level:
   Sub-units:
911 SBP-LUN:
   Capacity:    152.67 GB
   Removable Media:    Yes
   BSD Name:    disk2
   OS9 Drivers:    Yes
   S.M.A.R.T. status:    Not Supported
   Volumes:
External Drive:
   Capacity:    152.54 GB
   Available:    109.06 GB
   Writable:    Yes
   File System:    HFS+
   BSD Name:    disk2s10
   Mount Point:    /Volumes/External Drive

What your system profiler is telling you is information about the
case that your external drive is mounted in; ie: the chipset that is
installed in the box, the capacity, space available, etc. It cannot
tell you the brand of drive because it is not able to read that
information through the circuit in the box.

You could open the box and look at the label on the drive, but why?
Is it that important to know the brand?

Generally, I don't worry about the brand as much as the performance
of the drive. If it is working properly, don't worry, be happy! If,
however, I was buying a drive to put into a box, I would look for
Seagate first and then Western Digital. Those are just my
preferences, not any endorsement.