[G4] Question about Firewire enclosure / hard drive

Thomas Brooks mos125 at comcast.net
Wed May 30 12:28:12 PDT 2007

Michelle:

If you buy the firewire enclosure you will still have to install a hard
drive into it. This is about the same amount of work as putting an
additional hard drive in your Sawtooth. My original drive was 10GB. In
the past I have bought Seagate 80GB, 160GB drives and this week a 250GB
(see
<http://shop2.outpost.com/%7B-JctAY2hW7oEcLf2YwL0uA**.node1%7D/product/
4596257>). I paid $50 for each one new. I have the 80 GB and the160GB
(running at 128GB) in my G4. I plan on putting the 250GB in my Firewire
Case for removable backup.

I would agree the overall best solution would be a faster SATA Drive
and new PCI SATA upgrade card (I am not sure on the size limits). Total
cost probably around $110. Cheapest solution a 120GB Drive added to
your existing empty ATA bay. Total cost around $60.

I am not a technician but since 1999 have added PCI USB 2.0 cards, hard
drives, extra memory and 1.2 GHz processor and graphics card upgrades
to my G4 AGP with no problems that I was not able to work through. It
just keeps on truckin'.

Step-by-steps are on internet.

Tom

###