[G4] Question about Firewire enclosure / hard drive

Michelle happydog at northmo.net
Wed May 30 19:38:54 PDT 2007

Thank you all for the helpful replies and information. I've done some
web searching today and just have a couple other (really "newbie!")
questions. Thank you for your patience... this is new to me. I bought
my Sawtooth over eBay about 5 years ago and have upgraded the RAM,
added 2 more USB slots, and upgraded the processor over time... but
have never messed with the hard drive. (And I do love the
computer.... I need it to work for awhile longer!)

Am I understanding you correctly that I could feasibly purchase
something like the:

** 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 7200rpm 8.5ms 8MB Cache Ultra ATA/10  **

from a website like OWC for around $75.

With this "drive", I could either:

A)  install it INTO my Sawtooth in the "second" drive available spot?
(I didn't know there was such a spot/slot...)

B) replace the current (27GB?) hard drive with this new, bigger drive of 120 GB

C) put this new drive into a firewire enclosure (for about $50
more?), and use it as an "external" storage/drive

IF I chose to do Option C, why would that (or would that) be faster
than just buying an external firewire hard drive in the first place?

I am not a technician in ANY way, but I did manage to follow the
specific directions thus far to upgrade this computer. I primarily
need the upgrades now to handle my work with Photoshop. Buying a new
Mac is just not in the budget at this time.

Thank you-
Michelle