[G4] Startup chime but no dice!

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Mon Nov 5 23:06:27 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 18:07 -0800, Daile Engle wrote:
> Just acquired my nice dead MDD dual 1.25...  and after a few things
> thought I'd bounce it off the list members...
> Ok, here goes:
> Before powering up, replaced pram battery and reset PMU just for
> kicks. Then, after 10 minutes or so, tried to boot up. What I got was
> a nice startup chime, fans running at low speed, cpu heats up warm,
> Disk drive spins (pretty sure) but nothing on the screen.. nice and
> black.. then I shut down and proceeded to R&R all the modules along
> with a bit of cleaning. There is 1280mb of ram and I figured since I
> got no "beeps" at startup, the processor and ram are ok (i hope) At
> this point, I'm leaning towards video card or logic board. what do ya
> think? I might also add that tring to do a pram clear (option,
> control, pr) I could not get the second chime? Jeff
>
> Jeff & (my wife)Daile Engle
> Kamiah, Idaho 83536
> macguy47 at gmail.com

I believe you mean command-option-p-r. That one should get you as many
chimes as you like.

As for the problem, if that doesn't get you a display, do try taking
some of the RAM out just for fun. And if you have any spare video card
around, don't hesitate to test that. Lots of probing should turn
something up.

Eric