[G4] Startup chime but no dice!

Jay E. Krauss Jr jekrauss at charter.net
Tue Nov 6 10:44:59 PST 2007

Jeff,
	The MDD is designed to start up in Firewire Target mode.
Since your G5 has Firewire, you could attempt to boot the MDD with
"T" depressed (presuming some message gets from the keyboard to the
MDD's "innards"). I'm not sure how much of the MDD's logic board,
RAM. etc is required to get into Firewire Target mode, but even if
there is no video from the MDD, the G5 (if Target mode entered) would
see the MDD's first (only?) hard drive. You could then inspect the
drive to see what was on it and (possibly) run repairs with Disk
Utility, DiskWarrior, TechTool, Drive Genius, etc. This, of course,
does not permit checking the logic board or RAM of the MDD, and even
if hard drive access and repairs were possible, the MDD may still not
boot if there is a logic board or RAM problem.
	Just a thought.
Jay