[G4] Buying RAM

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 09:22:41 PST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 3:59 AM, jonseward at mindspring.com wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Take a look at Ramseeker.com.
>
> As long as all the specs match up, it should work fine.  It doesn't =20=

> need to
> come from Apple.  However, some Macs
> require higher toleranced RAM to operate properly, so make sure =20
> it's the
> right flavor.
>
> Depending on your Mac and the RAM, poorly specced RAM can cause no
> problems, flaky and erratic performance, or
> total inability to boot.  Problems should resolve when you remove the
> inappropriate RAM.
>
> Lower speed RAM will work, but will degrade the performance of any/all
> higher speed RAM.  This is likely trivial for
> most users.

*
I had a flaky Mac problem that took me to the local Apple Store =20
Genius Bar.  Their first question was, "What kind of RAM do you have?"

"RAM is RAM", I answered.

"Not any more", was their response.  Ever since System 10 showed up, =20
Mac uses RAM differently.

Their suggestion:  Buy from Crucial (the retail arm of Micron =20
Technology, where Apple buys a lot of RAM.)

Crucial prices are a bit above the lowest, but I have never had any =20
problem with Crucial RAM.

Good luck!

earle
*