[G4] Re: Hard drive installation problem

Kathi Anderson kathialexis at cox.net
Sat Nov 24 19:17:34 PST 2007

> From what I have found out your Mirror Drive Door G4 only supports
> ATA100 which means the maximum amount of disk drive it will support
> without special software is 128 Gb.

This is not true and if it were the drives should still show as 128 GB as
far as I know. Here is the report of the drives on my MDD.  In your first
post you said the drives had so much "available " capacity but you didn't
report the "total " capacity.  Was there a difference?

There is no 128 limit for the MDD, afaik.

I recently acquired a MDD 1.25 Mhz single processor Mac. It was bare bones,
no hard drive and no ram. I put in 2 gig of ram and two hard drives. They
are both Ultra ATA 100, 7200 rpm. The first was 150 gig. I wanted to see if
everything was working right before I put in the second drive, another Ultra
ATA 100, 7200 rpm, a 400 gig. I ran into no limitation problems. The only
thing was that I noticed that the 400 took longer to open, so I partitioned
it into 4 100 gig partitions. This speeded things up considerably.
There was some space taken up with the formatting, which is normal.
The 150 gig capacity shows 148.91 gig after formatting.
Each of the 100 gig partitions show 93.02 gigs after formatting.
I formatted all the drives using Tiger OS. I read on this list that it was
advisable to format a 7 to 10 gig partition for the O.S., but everything is
working fine so far as it is.

Kathi