[G4] Hard drive installation problem

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 08:34:58 PST 2007

Greetings Kenneth ( + )!( + )

This is very good news, your solution may have something to do with
what I read about those drives (more than likely somewhere in the IDE
control) could protect data. What I read from Hitachi was that you
needed a special WINTEL program to remove those protection schemes.
However I didn't think that the protection would be in effect when the
drive were installed in a Mac.

My question, and I don't remember is you have already said but when
when you installed the SATA drive did you install a SATA control card
or did you use a SATA to ATA converter and then connect that to the
ribbon cable that Apple provided for the front drive bays. If you
installed a SATA PCI control card then it should make any difference
whether the drive is in the front bay or the back.

If you have "Xbench" run the application to find out how fast your
drives are responding. If the drives (180 Gb) in the rear bays are
responding faster then you may want to swap their positions.

Congratulation on your solution.

Best regards,