[G4] Hard drive installation problem

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Nov 27 11:09:49 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 4:50 AM, Kenneth Smith wrote:

>  My new question is this:  If I move the 750 GB Seagate, with the OS
> on it, from the front to the rear tray, and move one of the rear IBM
> drives in the rear tray to the front,  will my computer still
> recognize the Seagate as my startup disk, and boot up, or will there
> just be a smoky hole in the ground where my computer was?

You can mount the 750 drive in any location that you want. Once a
drive is designated as the "startup" drive, it will be used as such
until you select and designate a different drive for that purpose.

That is unless you disconnect that drive entirely, or it dies of old
age and abuse, and have a different drive installed that has an active
System folder on it. In that situation, the Mac will continue to look
for an active system to start up from no matter where it is installed
physically and the Mac will start from THAT drive.