[G4] Hard drive installation problem

Kathi Anderson kathialexis at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 22:02:16 PST 2007

Snip
that I did as a result, I had a major learning experience.  I learned
that the technology of my mirrored door G4 represented a significant
technical plug-and-play milestone by Apple toward rendering
insignificant the master/slave jumper settings.  I also learned that
the new serial ATA drives were manufactured to accommodate the new
plug and play technology.  There seems to be a consensus of
information that connections for drives mounted in the front tray
make the G4 operate a little slower than the rear tray connections.
Mine now seems a little slower.  My new question is this:  If I move
the 750 GB Seagate, with the OS on it, from the front to the rear
tray, and move one of the rear IBM drives in the rear tray to the
front,  will my computer still recognize the Seagate as my startup
disk, and boot up, or will there just be a smoky hole in the ground
where my computer was?
Snip

Forget the master slave business. You should be able to use Cable Select on
that MDD. Set both drives to Cable Select. Much simpler.
Kathi