[G4] Setting Monitor Resolution

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Nov 29 18:30:50 PST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 7:03 PM, Thomas Brooks wrote:

> I recently installed an ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro graphics card in my
> G4. I have Acer 22" monitor. My plan is to upgrade to Tiger or
> Leopard soon.
>
> I know very little about graphics or displays. When I set the
> monitor resolution to 1680 x 1050, 60 Hz, Millions everything seems
> to work fine. When I set the resolution to 1920 x 1080, 60 Hz,
> Millions the desktop extends right and left and top and bottom
> outside the display. What gives? Is there some way to adjust this.
> I know this is basic but I need a place to start.
>
> TIA
>
> Tom Brooks

I have a 9800 too.
Your 22" display only has 1680 by 1050 pixels. That is it's native size.
If you pump more pixels they will be off screen.
You can do less pixels, but it gets jaggy.
My 19" for instance has a max res of 1440x900, and the same thing
happens with Hi-def.
with older CRT's you might have had the option of screwing it up to
accomodate your tastes but not the LCD's.
Jim