[G4] New hard drive

Ben Smith ben.smith at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 3 01:01:00 PDT 2007

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:47:02 -0700
> From: "Kathi Anderson" <kathialexis at cox.net>
> Subject: [G4] New hard drive
> To: <g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> I have a G4 MDD coming soon that I bought without ram or hard drives. Can
> anyone tell me what would be the best drives to put in this MDD?
>
> I can find out from Crucial what I should use for ram, but can't seem to
> find a source to tell me what the best hard drive is to put in a G4 MDD.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kathi

Any standard IDE (PATA) drive will work fine in this, (not SATA!).
You are lucky in your choice of machine as this not only has a faster
IDE bus than the earlier G4's but it also does not have the 128GB limit,
so you can install any size HDD you like (300-500GB are very cheap at
the moment).
Please be aware that if you want to run 9.2.2 there are a few things to
watch out for,
1) if it is the second model MDD with FireWire 800 it cannot run 9.x.
2) you cannot use retail 9.2.2 install disks as they are missing some
MDD specific files, you must use the MDD restore disks that were
originally supplied with the machine.
3) as pointed out in another thread 9.2.2 cannot boot from a partition
greater than 128GB.
As memory is cheap I would suggest maxing it out to 2GB, the MDD will
run 10.4.x very well (even better if you upgrade the graphics card).
If it is 1GHZ or faster then it should also run 10.5, my MDD (867 O/C to
1.07GHZ, 2GB Ram, Radeon 9800 graphics) runs the current beta of 10.5 fine.
Ben.