[G4] Crawling Finder

The Sargents chrisgins at verizon.net
Wed Oct 3 17:58:38 PDT 2007

Hi,
	I've got a 933 Mhz Quicksilver G4 with 768 mb of Ram running
10.4.8. The other day the wife was dragging many many many files to
the trash when the machine instead started copying them to the desk
top. She tried unsuccessfully to abort the operation  but could not
stop it. She had to force quit the finder . Upon restart there are no
icons on the desktop, not even hard drives, and the finder is
amazingly slow to react. I repaired permissions after booting from
the OS X install disk, no change. Ran Disk Warrior, no change.
Started up in Single user mode,  ran fsck and then removed the
finder.plist and sidebar.plist per The X Lab web site. Still slow and
painful to work with (reminds me of my Performa 6200) :-( Tried Drive
Genius- slightly faster, still no desktop. My Konfabulator widgets
see my hard drives and all my menu items are there (S.M.A.R.T.
status, WeatherPop, JumpCut, Konfabulator, etc) Applications run,
albeit slowly.
	Any help would be appreciated!
--

Chris