[G4] Crawling finder update

The Sargents chrisgins at verizon.net
Fri Oct 5 18:02:56 PDT 2007

	Thanks for the suggestions. An archive and install did
nothing to change the situation. After more attempts such as zapping
the Pram, booting into safe mode, etc. I tried hooking up my OS 9
drive in a Firewire enclosure and attempted to reboot into OS 9 (Does
anybody know how to boot into an external Firewire drive- either OS 9
or OS X?)
	The Finder was so slow that logging out timed out and I could
not boot into OS 9, but I finally got to the log in screen and was
able to switch users. It turns out there were 21,896 items on the
desktop :-( I archived them (except for the normal day to day items)
to another drive so my wife can go through them eventually and then
deleted them and emptied the trash. Switched back to my original user
name and all is well with my Mac :-)
--
Chris