[G4] Swapping SCSI to IDE in G4 Sawtooth-HELP!

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sat Oct 6 17:14:55 PDT 2007

At 16:51 -0700 10/6/07, Jim S wrote:
>Hi Doug,
>Here's the scenario. I have an older Sawtooth, it's a 450 with 2 - 18gig Seagate hard drives and they are old and starting to fail.

My Sawtooth is only 375 MHz and it must be older than yours.  It has two ATA cables for two devices each operated from the motherboard.

>I have a new 80gig ATA/IDE drive that I'd like to install inplace of the SCSi drives but not sure how to go about it. I don't want the SCSI card or drives in my system any longer since I don't fully trust them.
>I'd feel secure with a new drive.
>Any ideas how to achieve this? Any documentation that you know of?

Open it up and look for an unused ATA cable hanging around. One goes up to the CD-ROM and, originally for mine, to a Zip drive.

There might be just a 40 pin ATA connector waiting to have a cable plugged into it. A peecee ATA cable would work.

I'm guessing now that a previous owner, or perhaps a dealer, added the PCI card to make use of existing SCSI disks.

Apple was delivering nothing but ATA drives when it made your G4. The Sawtooth G4's are limited to 128 GB on their ATA drives.
--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--