[G4] Re: Start up Chime

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Sun Oct 7 19:01:35 PDT 2007

Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net wrote:
> On 7 Oct 2007 13:20:22 -0700, B G wrote:
>
>> On Oct 6, 2007, at 1:20 PM, keith_w wrote:
>>
>>>  I don't GET a start-up chime anymore.
>>
>> There is a possibility it is the power switch assembly....

> Can you hear the HD spin up? Does the fan run? If so the switch is
> working. It is a frequent-failure component on some models.

I recently replaced all my RAM with brand new larger capacity sticks.
A system Profiler check recognized them, by name and such, so must be good stuff.

However, I just now Shut Down, and after a minute, pressed the start button on
the front center of my CPU. I did this two times, as related below:

First, I pressed and held the On button until I heard the drive and fan rush
start up. After a short time, the CPU shut down.

Next, I pressed the start button, but released it soon as the button's light
went on, and the CPU continued to boot to a normal screen.

Neither one gave me a chime at any point.

The computer seems to respond as usual, for anything I've asked of it.

I have the single 1.25 Ghz processor G4 MDD 2003, which is otherwise working
just fine!

keith whaley