[G4] Re: WInd Tunnel Getting Louder

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon Oct 8 04:22:59 PDT 2007

At 03:21 -0400 10/8/07, Steve Adams wrote (about heat sink compound):
>Most people make the mistake of gobbing it on. A thin coat is all that is needed and a thick coat can actually hinder heat dissipation. The metal fins is what dissipates the heat not the compound.

A germane reason for not putting on too much is that the grease tends to move around and get into moving parts - like fan bearings.

I did discover that the fan on my AGP video board could be lubricated. One can carefully peel of the sticky paper cover over the bearing and hit it with a quarter of a drop of watch oil. The fix lasts about a year and needs to be done again.
--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--