[G4] Re:Start up Chime and G4 AGP processor card

Richard Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 8 04:43:20 PDT 2007

This is my 2-cents worth on the Startup Chime situation.

First, at one time I had a Power PC 9500 and when I added a 3rd party G4
upgrade card, the tone of the startup chime changed.  I called the company
that made the G4 card and they gave me a big run around that the chime was
not needed and they had no chimes on the factory units.  My assumption was
they screwed up the card and did not want to admit to the error.  I replaced
the 9500 with a real G4 machine..

For reasons I do not understand the volume of the G4 Startup Chime would
change with time.  The fix was very simple ..... just zap the pram and the
volume came back normal.  I could tell by sound of the start up tone when it
was time to zap or reset the machine.

The G4 has now been replaced with one of the new 24-inch 2.4 GHz iMacs and I
am very pleased with the new Mac.

BTW, if someone needs a good Apple G4-450 AGP processor card, drop me note.
I upgraded the G4 to a G4 1GHz with a OWC card a few years ago.  The 450
would be a good upgrade to 350 or 400.  The 450 processor is a drop in card
replacement for a Power PC Sawtooth.

Dick