[G4] Adding a Western Digital 160HD

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Mon Oct 8 15:43:08 PDT 2007

Master/slave does apply to the Macintosh as well as Wintels, but then
you can probably have both drives set on Cable Select and not worry
about it. Wintels do have to take into consideration which drive will be
primary, as that affects how those machines boot. Not an issue with the
Mac.

If it won't format beyond a single 128 GB partition, I imagine it's
possible to make two partitions in order to take full advantage of the
drive's capacity. The goal there would be to use the entire drive up
with the two partitions, however large you make the two of them. The
default is simply to cut the drive in half.

I have a USB 2.0 "box" that allowed a drive to die when I'd left it on
too long. I don't suppose that's an issue for every external drive
enclosure, but it's led me to prefer internal use of hard drives, except
of course for portability between different machines.

So the bottom line is go ahead and format it in HFS+ journaled, install
the OS 9 drivers if you want to boot OS 9 on the machine (doesn't affect
Classic within OS X) and enjoy that hundred-something gigabytes of
space.

Eric