[G4] Seagate hard drive Installation

O'Brien obgraph at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 10 17:21:27 PDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:08:46 -0700 (PDT), John Niven wrote:
> When you touch the metal chassis, you equalize the
> stored charge. So there is no potential difference
> between you and the case, so no discharge can occur.
>
> It does not matter if it's plugged in or not from this
> point of view. I would recommend that you unplug the
> machine before doing anything inside.

OK, I see: the charge isn't being drained, it's being equalized. If this is the case and is what avoids a damaging discharge, then I guess the computer wouldn't need to be plugged-in. Well...that's why I said "Could be." :=) If so, then perhaps it wouldn't be affective to use any other method (like plumbing) for grounding except contacting the computer metal itself because the charge wouldn't be equalized.

> Touch the Chassis. Use ESD bags to store PCI cards,
> CPU's or RAM. If you don't have them use Aluminum foil
> (baking foil).

Is this true? I didn't know...useful info.

O'Brien