[G4] Re: Prepping for the next OS X (10.5)

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue Oct 23 18:19:00 PDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 7:40 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:40:07 -0500
> From: Rick Ramsowr <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net>

>   I'm looking to upgrade my CPU in my QuickSilver (2001) from a 733
> MHz to something... as well as my video card.

Hello Rick:

I also have the Quicksilver G4/733.  You are looking at a very
interesting project especially if your machine is already pretty well
souped up with RAM and hard drive(s).  After doing your homework for
the upgrade and adding up the costs of buying Leopard, the CPU, and the
video card, and any other upgrades, you may want to compare that to the
cost of a new or refurbished Intel iMac.  And you might scratch up a
few dollars by selling your old machine.

You could also look at the Mac-Mini, especially if you have a monitor
that does not have an ADC connector.  If you have an Apple LCD display
with the ADC connector, that would require a DVI to ADC adaptor for $99
to work the Mini.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/
RSLID?mco=641148B1&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/
displays&nplm=M8661LL/B

I wonder if upgrading the old G4s just buys a couple extra years of
life for them as they wear out and as Apple moves ahead with their OSs
and applications.

Have fun,
Al Poulin