[G4] Re: Prepping for the next OS X (10.5)

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Tue Oct 23 19:22:59 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 21:19 -0400, Al Poulin wrote:
> I wonder if upgrading the old G4s just buys a couple extra years of
> life for them as they wear out and as Apple moves ahead with their OSs
> and applications.
>
> Have fun,
> Al Poulin

An awesome way to keep a PowerPC Mac running a modern OS is the ever fun
Linux. Best two for PPC I can recommend are openSUSE and Fedora. They'll
be far less bloated on an older system, and will even run comfortably on
G3 systems.

Fedora has done a better job of supporting my hardware - openSUSE, even
as of version 10.3 doesn't support my SATA card, for instance, and 10.2
had messed up with the display after booting from the install disc. On
the other hand, that one provides support for "non-free" technologies
like MP3 "out of the box." Such support can be added to Fedora, however.

Eric