[G4] Upgrade of old G4/400Mhz/OS X-Jaguar?

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Sun Sep 2 11:43:03 PDT 2007

400 MHz sounds like an old G3 system to me, or an original G4 tower.

Issue number one is freezing. It's possible that a new system could
help stability, but if there's a bit of bad hardware or a bad PRAM or
NVRAM setting causing it, it probably won't make a difference. I'd
upgrade just for the sake of modern compatibility - Tiger is no
slower than Jaguar on such a system - I have an iMac 400 MHz or so
(DV) that runs Tiger nicely. It's using 512 MB of RAM.

I'd replace that tiny hard drive and just install a newer system at
that time. You could leave the old drive in there and let OS X
transfer documents and settings from it during the installation. If
the freezing continues afterwards, try popping one of the RAM modules
out and run the system for a while. If you can get it to stop
freezing that way, you've likely identified a bad module that's
easily replaced.

As for reading NTFS, there is a freeware NTFS driver available on
www.versiontracker.com. Just search for NTFS and it'll come up. After
that's installed, just plug 'n play.

If you really want an Intel in there, you could stick a PC board in
the Mac case >:) But you'd only get to run Mac OS with some hacked
edition that likely won't even work, so no, you'll be using PPC.
Other World Computing sells a lot of Mac PPC upgrades -
unfortunately, there seems to be no store in existence that lets you
pick one off of a shelf.

I'm quite surprised to see it's got 4 RAM slots but a maximum of 1.5
GBs. That doesn't add up. My own G4 claims to have four RAM slots in
system profiler, but only has three physical slots, and it is limited
to 1.5 GBs for that reason.

Eric