[G4] G4, MDD, SATA upgrades?

Jason Potsander jason.potsander at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 00:55:48 PDT 2007

Hello,
I have a G4 (M8573) Mirrored Drive Door, dual 1.25 processor, running OS
10.4.9.

Can I install an SATA PCI card and install a SATA drive and get the maximum
SATA 150 speed or SATA 300 speed?  Does the SATA speed get "bottle necked"
or slowed down anywhere given that this computer was originally set up for a
PATA/100 hard drive?  Would I benefit from the true SATA speed or would my
older system somehow slow it up?

Also, can install an eSATA PCI card  for an external eSATA drive and the
maximum eSATA speed of 3000 Mbits/s.  Does the eSATA speed get "bottle
necked" or slowed down anywhere given that this computer was originally set
up for internal PATA/100 hard drives?  Would I benefit from the true SATA
speed or would my older system somehow slow it up?

Thanks for any tips on this,