[G4] upgrading a G4 Digital Audio

MKL mkl18 at pobox.com
Mon Sep 24 12:40:46 PDT 2007

Hello everyone

I recently aquired a G4 Digital Audio 733 mhz and wish
to learn more about it. I  expect to add
and upgrade in the future but I am unsure of some
things. Any help in clarification would be
appreciated! Thankyou in advance

The original CD/DVD  installed unit is possibly worth
upgrading to something more recent or is it
still "good enough" and shouldnt be touched until it
goes? I really dont know much about DVD
burners and dont even know if it is a DVD recording
unit.

I am told some later G4 DAs did not have power
supplies How would I find out if mine has one or not?

I have the maximum amount of RAM  so this is OK  but
the cache issue is a bit vague for me Is there
something that can be improved inthis area or better
managed?

I have the standard 60 or so gig IDE drive and a
couple of SCSI drives Could I replace one of the SCSI
drives with a newly aquired ULTRA320  10000k drive
even though it isnt ULTRA 320 ?

If I upgrade the processor with say an xclr8  booster
would this be a simple thing? I am thinking of the old
G3 upgrades which would work but often an application
would require originally installed hardware (USB and
firewire upgrades come to mind) and wouldnt work with
"upgraded" computers  For example with Google Earth
the system requirement is 800 Mhz minimum
does this mean ORIGINALLY installed processor ? VOIP
also might need the original installed hardware?

Thats all for now but any other advice would be
appreciated !!

thanks for so far

Michael Lough