[G4] G4 Tigers

ewood at izoom.net ewood at izoom.net
Thu Sep 27 13:45:35 PDT 2007

Try out Tiger and remember that you can upgrade everything but the
motherboard itself in that system. New graphics card (has to be for Mac or
both platforms), new CPU (never see them on store shelves, but they're
available online) more RAM (universal between Mac/PC - just have to get
the right variety for your bus speed.

And if you want to play with Linux, OpenSUSE, Fedora and Ubuntu tend to
support the Mac PowerPC platform. Fedora has been the best for me as a
Linux newb, though Ubuntu is even easier to use in some ways. Its security
model is like that of OS X - no root account and password needed.

As for running older Mac software, your best bet is to find a Mac OS 9.1
or 9.2 installation CD used, and then install it either before you install
OS X or onto a separate partition or disk. It won't support installing to
a partition already containing OS X. After it's installed, there are free
updates for getting to 9.2.1 and then 9.2.2. This OS is also bootable by
itself - you can select it within the Startup Disk pane of System
Preferences, and then you simply reboot. You can return to OS X by
selecting it from the Startup Disk Control Panel in OS 9.

Lots of luck and enjoyment with your Mac!

Eric