[G4] G4 Tigers

O'Brien obgraph at hiwaay.net
Thu Sep 27 07:18:59 PDT 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:39:32 +0100, scifi wrote:
> I am new to the world of mac, so new in fact that I have not even
> used it yet. A buddy of mine gave me a G4 AGP (i think) but it had
> no disk drive. I have installed an 80gb drive but I still have no
> OS, how do I get this ? I would prefer tiger but I heard that there
> are different disks for different machines. I am desperate to try
> out os x but have so far struggled.

I'm assuming that you have a 400=5000mHz Mac, right? How much RAM do you have install?

Just get a standard release of Mac OSX 10.x.x. The latest version is 10.4.10, I think, but you could use version of OSX 10. I wouldn't use anything older than 10.3. There is a different cat name for each version of 10 and it has nothing to do with what mac it works on -- all Macs use all versions of the OS, unless they're just too old and slow for a later OS version. OSX 10.5 will be out soon, but you should get that unless you have a much newer Mac.

These are the cats:
10.1 = Puma
10.2 = Jaguar
10.3 = Panther
10.4 = Tiger
10.5 = Leopard

You can buy the OS from any Apple store or the Apple store on-line, and you can find what you need on eBay and other places, new and used.

Here's an example of what you are looking for on eBay:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/MAC-OS-X-TIGER-10-4-DVD_W0QQitemZ200157012948QQihZ010QQcategoryZ80258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

Don't worry -- you'll like Mac. I would suggest a Mac book to help learn. David Pogue's "The Missing Manual" is a good one. (If you get it be sure it's for the right cat.)

O'Brien