[G4] MDD - Disc space issues

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Mon Apr 7 14:01:15 PDT 2008

At 15:28 -0700 on 03/27/2008, Earle Jones wrote about Re: [G4] MDD -
Disc space issues:

>________________________
>Earle Jones •
>380 Conil Way
>Portola Valley CA 94028
>Home:  650-854-1489
>Cell:  650-269-0035
>earle.jones at comcast.net
>
>On Mar 27, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>>At 11:09 -0700 on 03/22/2008, Ronald Steinke wrote about Re: [G4]
>>MDD - Disc space issues:
>>
>>>I personally prefer Onyx to perform the daily, weekly, and monthly
>>>maintenance programs. Cocktail is another program that will handle
>>>those chores. Download and use whichever one you chose and use it
>>>regularly for keeping your temp files under control.
>
>*
>Go to:  http://www.atomicbird.com/
>
>and get the shareware preference pane 'Macaroni' -- Set it to do all
>your cron work, daily, weekly, monthly, reset permissions, and
>remove localization.
>
>As the cooker salesman says, "Set it and forget it!"
>
>earle

Macaroni is NOT a total cron replacement since it has no provision
(unlike cron) to say WHEN (on a designated day) the command will run
(it runs whenever it decides to on the designated day). Also, it can
not run more than once a day (you'd need to define 24 separate jobs
to run hourly and there is still the issue of being unable to say
what time each of the jobs will run). The only advantage it has over
CRON is that it can run jobs that should have run while the computer
was powered off and can be told to run a job every time you boot the
computer.