[G4] Continued problems with old G4!

Fast Primes fast_primes at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 21 17:29:38 PDT 2008

Gentlemen,

I still have serious probelms with my old G4. If
you recall, I queried the list some time ago regarding texteditor being unable to
save a file, with TextEdit quitting with the error msg:

    "The application TextEdit has unexpectedly quit."

Subsequently
I downloaded and ran Onyx (version 1.3.1). The original problem
persisted. Moreover, I noticed what seemed to be an inability to save
ANY files by any application--not just TextEdit. Permanent cookies for
example. The Verify and Repair of File Permissions by Onyx had no
effect. Also the iTunes application has quit working after I tried a
more extensive "treatment" by Onyx:

     -    execute all maintenance scripts
     -    optimize the system
     -    delete internet caches and history
     -    delete user caches files
     -    delete archived logs, etc

Anyway,
it's occured to me that maybe the harddrive itself is failing--if so,
isn't there a software test of some kind? Can anyone suggest anything
else I could do? I have not deleted the system cache files--should I
try that as well?

What I am still able to do, is surf the
internet, do various online transactions (ebay, amazon, etc),
answer/reply email. Except, that sites which allow continued access after entering a user/pw, still require re-entry of user/pw at each new sign-on (NY Times for example). This seems to imply that it can't permanently save a cookie.

One last thing--this system is VERY slow (internet usage) compared to a powerful Windows system. Is this just the nature of the beast?

Below are my system specifics as reported by Onyx:

Thanks.

FP

Model: Power Mac G4 (ACP Graphics)
ID: PowerMac3.1
Code: Sawtooth
Processor: powerpc, ppc7400
Frequency: 400Mhz
System bus: 99Mhz
Memory: 832 MB

Kernel: Darwin version 6.8 (revision 199506)
System: Mac OS X version 10.2.8 (build 6R73)

Hard drive is around 10GB--unreported by Onyx.