[G4] Gifted with a G4/500

bill ritchey britchey11 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 09:20:19 PDT 2008

there is a battery near that button. yes there is a way to hold down the button and make it start a few more times even if that battery is dead but its best to change the battery. the sleep problems are an indication of a low battery.

Christina Samuels <casamuels at earthlink.net> wrote: Thanks so much for all the tips!

It's definitely not "bonging." Uh oh!

And, this computer would have some version of OS 9 on it; when it
stopped working right  (it seems like I recall there was some kind of
sleep/wake/freeze problem going on) we got my Mom a Mac Mini, which
she's had ever since. I wish I could remember the details of what was
happening to it, but it has been a while.

I think I've read that these computers can  have sleep/wake problems;
are such things generally hard to fix? I guess it's hard to really
answer that without actually knowing what's wrong with it.

To answer some other questions:
*This computer does have DVD-RAM, so I'm guessing Tiger won't be a
problem, should I get to that point.
*It has a VGA and a DVI connector
*It doesn't have USB 2.0 built in. That would be nice. I wouldn't mind
keeping my iTunes library on this computer...if it works!

So I'll look into the battery and the monitor/keyboard stuff first
before I go down the road of ordering new memory and other parts. I
really appreciate this; assuming that this poor guy isn't DOA I'm
looking at this as a bit of a learning project for me.